Monday, November 2, 2009

ABC/Word Work Station

One of the Daily Five choices for the students is the ABC/Word Work Station. This is actually an entire area of our classroom that contains several activity choices for students to practice the following skills:
  • Letter identification
  • Letter sound connections
  • Sight word recognition and writing
  • Word building
  • Phonemic awareness (rhyming, segmenting words into individual sounds or syllables, blending sounds to make words)
  • Sorting words
  • Ordering letters

You can see how our center area is organized.

Organizing all the materials has been easy once I found those nice white rolling bins. I labeled each drawer of the bin with a ID tag holder. When I make a new game, I take a picture and add it to the ID tag holder. By labeling the bins, the kids can clean up with ease. The key to keeping kids on task is to provide many choices. From time to time I may add a new activity to keep it fresh, but there will always be the regulat choices.

One choice that I have nearly every week is to create words for the target letter. I simply change out the laminated words cards and keep the letter cubes out. Towards the end of the year, I have students actually complete a word book as an assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment