Monday, August 10, 2009

What's the big picture?

Sometimes as teachers we can get all wrapped up in lots of details. There are many!!! The room needs to be set up so that it creates a great learning environment. We have to make sure that we've got our plans done. We have to come in everyday and teach the kids. We've got to do assessments on a regular bases. Grading has to be done. We have to keep track of student behavior. Then find time to meet with parents one on one. Then there's the paperwork to fill out for various reasons. There are meetings I need to attend, both as a whole staff and as a grade level. If we are doing a fund raiser or going on a field trip, then there are tasks involved. There are plenty more details and tasks, I can promise you that.

Thinking about all these tasks can be daunting, it can be very stressful when we focus on all the details. This Sunday I heard a great message at Church. The message was based on stepping back and refocusing on what the big picture was all about. I need to step back and refocus on what my purpose is as a teacher. Why am I here? Why do I come to school everyday? Why do I do all these tasks as a teacher? You're probably thinking, for the kids. Right? In part, yes. The sole purpose for all the things I do as a teacher is to use my gifts that God gave me to do his will. God is my ultimate authority.

Each day I go in to teach these children in a way that would be pleasing to God. These children all have talents and gifts that are only given by God. It's my job to do whatever it takes for children to develop and realize those gifts and meet children's individual needs. If I'm focusing too much on completing all those tasks just to check it off on my to do list, then something is wrong. I've lost that vision. That can happen, I'm human. That's where prayer comes in. Every morning when I walk into the classroom before the children come, I start by praying to God that he can work through me to provide the best education for these kids. I can't do it on my own, I'm on God's team.

There is no doubt that so many tasks still need to be completed. Completing those tasks is essential in meeting any goals I have for the children. So, I need to evaluate whether the certian task will help me fullfill the goal. There are many hopes and goals I have for these children.
1. They will learn
2. They will view learning as a continual process that NEVER ends
3. They will reflect on learning
4. They see the need to keep learning
5. They see the connection of school to the real world
6. They feel valued as individuals
7. They feel successful
8. They enjoy the learning process
9. They will discover and use the gifts God gave them
10. They will become life long learners

As I end this post I pray.
God use me to do your will this year. Give me the strength, passion, wisdom and patience to meet these children's needs. Guide me in how I plan lessons for these children so that the children can discover their gifts and talents. Put the right words in my mouth each day, as each word I say can help to mold these children. Help me keep my focus on the whole child. God, you've been there for me each day. You've allowed me to reach many children and help them discover strengths they never knew they had. I thank you for providing me the opportunity to have this position and the chance to meet so many wonderful children of God. You are a great God who created these little darlings. I pray all this in Jesus' name. AMEN

1 comment:

  1. What a touching and heartwarming post, Heather. Wow! Thank you for sharing with me, how you do it. You are an amazing person, and a great teacher. May your year be blessed!

    ReplyDelete