Monday, July 20, 2009

Summer Reading

One of the benefits of teaching is having the summers off. Now, that does not mean that it's all fun and games. Yes, I take some time for myself, but I value the time to be able to read professional development books so that next year I can be even more spectacular than the last.

Here's what I've been reading:
Teaching With Love and Logic-Taking Control of the Classroom.....Jim Fay and David Funk explain the importance of giving students choices.

The Daily 5 by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser-Focuses on a new approach to "centers." Instead of having center activites change week to week, there are only 5 simple tasks involved: Read to Self, Read to Someone, Listen to Reading, Working with Words, and Work on Writing. I think it will make my planning a WHOLE lot simpler. No more spending hours every week coming up with cutsey center activities that aren't true reading activities.

---You can read more about The Daily 5 by going to The 2 Sister's Website


Teaching With Intention by Debbie Miller-She has really got me thinking about the "why" of everything I do in the classroom. I've had lots of "ah ha" moments along the way.






Now for the fun books
My best friend and I were on our way to Chattanooga TN this summer. We desperately needed to take a break and stretch our legs. What a better way to do that than go shopping for books? :) I stumbled upon a book called Stuck in the Middle by Virginia Smith. I have since finished that book and am about halfway through with the second book in that series, Age Before Beauty.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Heather,

    I would love to see you write about your discoveries from reading Love and Logic. I also have the book, yet I have never incorporated it. What do you plan on doing for your behavior plan and consequences in the classroom this coming year based on what you have read in the book?

    I also like components of Power Teaching- the scoreboard and Guff counter, though I don't use all their components.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete